Dr. Eric Wee Chong Tan
Senior Clinical Psychologist
Speaks: English, Chinese (Mandarin)
Areas of Focus
- Anxiety (general anxiety, panic attacks and panic disorder, phobias, trauma, social anxiety, OCD)
- Stress management
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Coping with chronic health issues (such as IBS, HIV)
- People struggling with cultural adaptation, homesickness
LGBTIQ concerns including:
- coming out
- coping with the trauma of conversion therapy
- identity conflicts
- gender dysphoria – support and assessment for HRT and SRS, etc.
- Eric does provide reports to assess for gender dysphoria and to support Hormone Replacement Therapy and Sexual Re-assignment Surgery/ Procedures.
Eric is a Clinical Psychologist with special interests in:
- Understanding how emotions work and using methods to transform emotions deeply and quickly
- Supporting adults from the LGBTQ community
- Supporting clients with psychological issues stemming from complex family-of-origin and childhood experiences.
Eric’s approach is warm, open, and humorous. He works respectfully with his clients to help them understand their stuck emotional patterns and their way of being with both people and life events. He guides them to develop life-skills to change these patterns so that they could live fully, more fulfilled lives.
Eric completed his Doctoral degree in clinical psychology with research focused on psychological factors affecting Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and the mind-body connection. Eric has worked as a mental health clinician for 13 years in not-for-profit, correctional, hospital and private practice settings.
Eric offers in-office, teleconference and online counselling.
Reports: Eric does NOT do medico-legal, immigration, injury or compensation reports
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (2nd Upper Class Hons)
- Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Psychology)
- Full registration with AHPRA, with Specialist Endorsement in Clinical Psychology
Eric’s thoughts about how he approaches therapy:
“I am a firm believer in providing the right kind of space and therapy relationship for clients so that their stuck patterns of feelings and thoughts have room to be explored, expanded and changed. I do this in a very conversational style. This is the heart of how I approach my client.
To enhance this exploration and change process for my clients, I do two things:
1) I often guide clients to pay attention inwards to their feelings in a specific way (called Focusing or Mindfulness++).
2) I also place special emphasis on the therapy relationship with clients – where I strive to be as transparent as possible about what is going on between the client and myself.”
- Enjoys drawing and writing
- Likes to learn and try new things off of YouTube
- Loves good stories – in any form such as books, movies, and anime
- Aspires to sing and keeps practicing
Types of Clients
Eric also supports people without a diagnosis, including people who:
- Suffer from chronic low-key anxiety
- Struggle with low self-esteem
- Feel that something is missing in their lives
- Have struggles that stem from childhood experiences (known as attachment issues)
- Question their sense of self
- Struggle with anger issues
- Feel uncomfortable in their own skins
- Struggle relating with people (conflicts, social awkwardness, stuck communication patterns).
Evidence-Based Therapeutic Approaches
- Focusing-Oriented Therapy
- Emotion-Focused Therapy
- Psychodynamically-Informed Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Solution-oriented Therapy
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
Request an Appointment
9:00am – 7:00pm
9:00am – 7:00pm
9:00am – 7:00pm
Adults (50 minutes)
$128.40 with valid Mental Health Care Plan