per 50-60 minute session with a current
Medicare Mental Health Care Plan.
Visit your GP to enquire about a Mental Health Care Plan.
Private Health Funded
Private Health Coverage varies by provider and plan.
Contact your fund and ask about codes 100 for initial session and 200 for subsequent sessions. No referral required.
Some private health insurers provide coverage for couples counselling. Check with your private health insurer.
We can do an on-site claims for the many private health funds so you only have to pay the out-of-pocket gap.
Medicare & Psychology
Our Brisbane psychologist counselling sessions are supported by Medicare when you have a valid referral known as a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician.
Eligible people with a Medicare Mental Healthcare Plan can receive up to 10 individual sessions in a calendar year.
What mental health conditions are covered by the Medicare rebate?
For Medicare, mental disorder is a term used to describe a range of clinically diagnosable disorders that significantly impact on a person’s emotions, thoughts, social skills and decision-making. A Mental Health Care Plan may be requested for anyone experiencing:
- Adjustment disorders
- Alcohol use disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit disorder
- Bereavement disorders (example: grief counselling)
- Bipolar disorder
- Co-occurring anxiety and depression
- Conduct disorders
- Drug use disorders
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Panic disorder
- Phobic disorders (example: phobia counselling)
- Psychotic disorders
- Sexual disorders (example: gender identity counselling)
- Sleep problems (example: insomnia support)
If you are experiencing one or more of these conditions, you may qualify for a Mental Health Care Plan.
How to Request a Mental Health Care Plan:
- Make an appointment with your GP. Tell the doctor’s receptionist that you will want a Mental Health Care Plan because you need a longer appointment.
- Your GP needs approximately 30 minutes to create the plan with you. Your GP may ask you to come back another day when enough time has been booked if you forget to mention that the appointment is for a Mental Health Care Plan.
- You will need to return to your referring doctor/GP for a review after the first 6 sessions. Your psychologist will send a progress update to your GP after 6 sessions. Your GP will discuss your progress with you and determine your eligibility for additional sessions.
You must obtain your Mental Health Care Plan prior to attending your counselling appointment if you want to receive a Medicare rebate for that appointment.
How Much is the Medicare rebate for Psychological Counselling?
Under the Medicare scheme, all registered psychologists who are endorsed by Medicare Australia can provide treatment for mental health problems. The current rebate is $86.15 per session.
Medicare rebates are also available for consultations with registered psychologists, who are experts in the assessment and treatment of mental disorders. The current rebate is $126.50 per session.
Can I go directly to a psychologist to receive treatment through Medicare?
No. Your GP, paediatrician or psychiatrist will need to prepare a Mental Health Care Plan before referring you to a psychologist in order to qualify for a Medicare rebate.
You should book a longer session with your GP to enable time for preparing your Mental Health Care Plan.
A doctor’s referral and Mental Health Care Plan are not required to see a Centre for Human Potential psychologist. Although, if you are seeking to have a portion of your session fee rebated to you through the Medicare system, then you will require a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP.
National Suicide Prevention Trial
National Suicide Prevention Trial is a no charge psychological and case management service for the LGBTIQ+ community that is funded by the federal government.
DVA Entitled Persons:
DVA Health Cards (Gold and White) are accepted as payment upon a GP referral.
Please have your WorkCover Claim number and your caseworker’s name and contact information ready when you call us.
No Charge LGBTIQ+ on low income in Brisbane South Catchment Initiative
Centre for Human potential offers no charge services for LGBTIQ+ persons who live in the Brisbane South Catchment and are low income.
These services are offered primarily at our Brisbane South office located at 154 Ipswich road between Buranda and Park Road stations.
Call our office and speak to an intake coordinator who can provide you with additional information.