Life transitions, chronic health problems, gender and identity issues, ageing, death, powerlessness, isolation, interpersonal difficulties, depression, anxiety and workplace stress are key areas of interest for Senior Clinical Psychologist Dr. Wee Hong (Sam) Tan.
Sam, an English and Mandarin speaking Brisbane Psychologist, is a warm and empathetic clinical psychologist who creates a safe and validating environment for his clients. He aims to help clients understand their challenges and themselves better so they can implement changes that enable them to live rich and meaningful lives.
He is also a queer-affirming therapist who has a keen interest in serving members of the LGBTIQ community.
Sam has been working with clients for the past 11 years in various clinical settings across two countries. He has gained considerable experience helping people with:
- Mood issues (depression, bipolar disorder)
- Anxiety (generalized anxiety disorder or GAD, panic disorder, OCD, PTSD, phobias, social anxiety, health anxiety)
- Life transitions and adjustment to chronic health problems (including HIV, IBS, chronic pain, diabetes, renal failure)
- Identity issues (including self-esteem issues, issues arising from early-life experience)
- Ageing and existential issues (including death, powerlessness, isolation, desire/need for meaning and responsibility)
- Interpersonal difficulties (including family, partner and work relationships)
Sam’s approach to therapy is eclectic. He tailors his approach to meet each client’s needs. He is most interested in therapeutic approaches which help people relate better with themselves, relate better with others and help people to live a full life given existential limits.
Sam is also interested in therapeutic writing and often uses it for his own personal development.
Sam strives to build a strong empathetic and validating relationship with all his clients regardless of the therapy approach he may take with each client.
Brisbane counselling sessions with Sam are available in English or Mandarin.
Sam Wee Hong Tan does not provide Medico-Legal Reports.
- Individual males
- Individual females
- Late adolescence (17 years old+)
- Older adults (60+)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Humanistic Existential Therapies (including Person-Centered Therapy, Emotion Focused Therapy or EFT, Focusing Oriented Therapy)
- Solution Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Therapeutic Writing
- Bachelor of Social Sciences in Psychology (1st Class Honours)
- Doctor of Psychology (Clinical and Health Psychology)
- Specialist Registration – Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA)