Eric, an English and Mandarin Chinese speaking Brisbane Senior Clinical Psychologist, provides support to people with depression, anxiety, social anxiety, low self-esteem and social awkwardness (often due to a combination of being anxious around people, difficulties with social skills and a sense of low self-esteem).
Eric is a warm and humorous person who takes a person-centered approach to therapy. He focuses on understanding the person beyond their emotional problems. Eric likes to help people better connect to themselves, others and the world they live in. Being keen on self-development, he also ‘walks his talk’ by applying his therapy methods and tools on himself.
Having worked in the mental health field in Singapore and Australia over the last 11+ years and now a Brisbane CBD psychologist, Eric has clinical experience helping adults (18 and over) with:
- Anxiety (social anxiety, panic, generalised anxiety, PTSD, specific phobias and OCD)
- Issues faced by people adjusting to a new culture – particularly people from Asian backgrounds
- Depression and bipolar disorder
- Grief and loss struggles
- Low self-esteem
- Issues faced by Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered persons (sexual orientation, coming out, sexual identity, gender identity, discrimination)
- Adjustment to chronic health problems (irritable bowel syndrome, HIV, chronic pain)
- Struggles of caregivers of persons with dementia
- Struggles with studying (emerging professionals – doctors, engineers, accountants …)
Eric has a special interest in social awkwardness (usually due to a combination of being anxious around people, difficulties with social skills and a sense of low self-esteem), social anxiety and low self-esteem. He has co-authored a book about social anxiety called Dying to Connect But Scared To Death – Moving Beyond Social Anxiety.
Eric provides psychological therapy and counselling in English and Mandarin Chinese.
Note: Eric Wee Chong Tan does not do medico-legal cases, medico-legal reports nor drug and alcohol addiction issues.
- Young Adults (18 years and above)
- Adults (including the elderly)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered persons
- People from different cultures
- Person Centred Psychotherapies including:
- Focusing-Oriented Therapy (FOT)
- Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Solution Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Doctor of Psychology (Clinical)
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Psychology)(Hons)
- Specialist Registration, Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA)