Private Health Cover:
Most private health insurers will also give rebates for our services. You will need to check directly with your private health insurer to see what kind of rebates they will provide. This will be based on your level of cover with them.
Code 100 is for your initial session each calendar year.
Code 200 is for subsequent sessions.
Some private health insurers provide coverage for couples counselling. Check with your private health insurer.
Code 300 is for couples counselling.
We can do an on-site claims for the many private health funds so you only have to pay the out-of-pocket gap.
Medicare & Psychology:
Our Brisbane psychologist counselling sessions are supported by Medicare when you have a valid referral known as a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician.
Eligible people with a Medicare Mental Healthcare Plan can receive up to 10 individual sessions in a calendar year.
How to Request a Mental Health Care Plan:
- Make an appointment with your GP. Tell the doctor’s receptionist that you will want a Mental Health Care Plan because you need a longer appointment.
- Your GP needs approximately 30 minutes to create the plan with you. Your GP may ask you to come back another day when enough time has been booked if you forget to mention that the appointment is for a Mental Health Care Plan.
- You will need to return to your referring doctor/GP for a review after the first 6 sessions. Your psychologist will send a progress update to your GP after 6 sessions. Your GP will discuss your progress with you and determine your eligibility for additional sessions.
You must obtain your Mental Health Care Plan prior to attending your counselling appointment if you want to receive a Medicare rebate for that appointment.
How Much is the Medicare rebate for Psychological Counselling?
Under the Medicare scheme, all registered psychologists who are endorsed by Medicare Australia can provide treatment for mental health problems. The current rebate is $84.80 per session.
Medicare rebates are also available for consultations with specialist clinical psychologists, who are experts in the assessment and treatment of mental disorders. The current rebate is $124.50 per session.
What mental health conditions are covered by the Medicare rebate?
For Medicare, mental disorder is a term used to describe a range of clinically diagnosable disorders that significantly impact on a person’s emotions, thoughts, social skills and decision-making. A Mental Health Care Plan may be requested for anyone experiencing:
- Adjustment disorders
- Alcohol use disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit disorder
- Bereavement disorders (example: grief counselling)
- Bipolar disorder
- Co-occurring anxiety and depression
- Conduct disorders
- Drug use disorders
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Panic disorder
- Phobic disorders (example: phobia counselling)
- Psychotic disorders
- Sexual disorders (example: gender identity counselling)
- Sleep problems (example: insomnia support)
If you are experiencing one or more of these conditions, you may qualify for a Mental Health Care Plan.
Can I go directly to a psychologist to receive treatment through Medicare?
No. Your GP, paediatrician or psychiatrist will need to prepare a Mental Health Care Plan before referring you to a psychologist in order to qualify for a Medicare rebate.
You should book a longer session with your GP to enable time for preparing your Mental Health Care Plan.
A doctor’s referral and Mental Health Care Plan are not required to see a Centre for Human Potential psychologist. Although, if you are seeking to have a portion of your session fee rebated to you through the Medicare system, then you will require a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP.
Centre for Human Potential Pty Ltd is an approved Brisbane MIND provider.
Brisbane MIND is an Australian Government Department of Health Access to Allied Psychological Services (ATAPS) program, and is managed by Brisbane North PHN.
Bulk Billing and Brisbane Mind / ATAPS
Regular out-of-pocket gaps for our Brisbane psychologists are around $80 per session with a valid Mental Health Care Plan. Some clients experience financial hardship and are unable to afford the regular rates for counselling.
An option for these clients is to ask your GP if you might qualify under the Brisbane Mind program. Brisbane Mind is an Australian Government Department of Health Access to Allied Psychological Services (ATAPS) program, and is managed by Brisbane North PHN. Clients who are approved under the Brisbane Mind program have zero out-of-pocket gap to pay.
The following psychologists participate in the Brisbane Mind Program:
- Anita Hosking (General Program only)
- Chaminga Dhanapala (General and Suicide Prevention Programs)
- Ravi Tewari (General and Suicide Prevention Programs)
- Dr. Sam (Wee Hong) Tan (General and Suicide Prevention Programs, counselling in Mandarin also available)
If you are not eligible for the Brisbane Mind program, a few of our clinical psychologists do offer a discount off of their regular rate for clients who demonstrate financial hardship. If this is your situation, please ask your GP to consider writing ‘Financial Hardship‘ at the top of your Mental Health Care Plan or in the cover letter. Or, ask your GP to call and speak to our Practice Manager while you are at your GP appointment to discuss a reduced fee. Your psychologist will be determined by availability.